Don't panic! Here's what to do if you've opened a potentially harmful email.
If you've only opened the email and not clicked on any links, then there is no need to worry. Simply opening an email should not affect your computer If you've clicked a link, opened an attachment or filled in sensitive information, here's what you need to do:
- Disconnect your computer from the internet/network
- Notify your supervisor
- Scan your computer for viruses
- Change your usernames and passwords
- Forward the email to your IT company and explain what has happened
- Ensure you have a secure back-up of your files (why not try EMiR-Cloud?)